Augmentative/Alternative Communication is the use of technology to support, enhance and supplement the communication of individuals who are not independent verbal communicators in all situations. This service is for patients who have been diagnosed with a neurological condition and have difficulty communicating verbally. The process is most effective for patients who are approximately one year post onset.
Late Effects of CVA (Stroke)
Late Effects of traumatic brain injury
- By physician order only (Need to send a prescription for Augmentative/Alternative Communication evaluation)
- Must have family support
- Insurance most often funds the initial evaluation
- Initial evaluations are approximately one hour and scheduled by appointment (Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-4 p.m.
- Evaluation by Speech Language Pathologist
- Medicare pays 80% in purchase of recommended device
- Secondary insurers may cover remaining 20% not covered by Medicare
- TennCare is negotiable